Nina Simone

Nina Simone

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Kujichagulia, Self Determination in 2011



 I am so excited for 2011,  and not for what it will bring to me, BUT for What I Can Bring To It. One of the principles of Kwanzaa is Kujichagulia, or Self Determination and that is what I am focusing on this year. I am learning that in order to be successful and happy you have to define success on your own terms and not by others definitions, because you could never ever please everyone and you shouldn't try. Instead do what you know is right and welcome other people's input, but don't let them define your life.

For so much of my life I was successful academically and I listened to other people tell me, who they thought I was, and tell me what they wanted and  what they expected from me. But now in 2011 I feel like I am living life on my own terms. I am living by my own definition of success and by that I am learning that I don't have to go to Princeton or Yale or the fanciest grad school,  and I don't have to drive a Lexus Mercedes or have a nfl player husband to be happy or successful. Regardless of what your stature in life, success is being happy and content when you come home at the end of the day.

I am finally on a path, that I have put much consideration and thought into and I am applying to start graduate school in the fall, along with that I am also applying for a fellowship working with at-risk youth. Initially, I was only applying for law school, but I  realized I can help at-risk youth in other ways. I can work as a lawyer or policy advocate, or I can work to educate them. Either way, I know I will be happy and satisfied with my career field. But I am expanding my options.

My goal in life is to be a poltical figure or a policy advocate, but I am realizing it won't happen overnight and it may take 20 or 30 years, but I am determined to navigate my ship and enjoy my journey. I am now starting to appreciate my talents and recognize my weaknesses. I am learning to go with the path that God has for me, instead of chasing someone else's dream. I do not compare myself to others as much, but I am focused on being the best I can be. That might mean one of my friends could end up being a high-powered business woman, but I might end up being an educator or a public defender, and that is perfectly fine. I have to follow what I am good at, in order to be happy. 

In 2011 I have a much clearer vision for my future than before. It is crucial to be able to foresee or envision what you want out of life and to take the necessary steps to make it happen.  "Where there is clarity of VISION, there is acceleration towards your goals. you MUST be clear and concise on what you envision and meditate on it day and night until it becomes so real on the inside of YOU that is has not other choice but to come out of YOU! " - MARK STERLING

Also check out my poem "Pulse"

No comments:

Post a Comment